The Nigeria Basketball Federation has called up 28 players to begin camping ahead of the 2018 FIBA Women’s World Cup in Spain in September.
The invited players are to report to camp on Wednesday, 18th July, in Atlanta, Georgia for the team’s preparation for the FIBA Basketball World Cup for Women which starts from 18th July, 2018.
Team captain, Aisha Mohammed makes a return alongside co-captain, Ezinne Kalu-Phelps, Sarah Ogoke-Ejiogu, Cecilia Okoye, Nkechi Akashili, Upe Atosu, Atonye Jennifer Nyingifa (Duran Maquinaria Ensino, Spain), Adaora Elonu (Perfumerias Avenida Salamanc, Spain) and Ugo Nwaigwewho were all part of the 2017 title winning team.
Nicole Enabosi with the University of Delaware basketball team who made the 2018 CAA All-First Team, All-Defensive Team and the Colonial Athletics Association Women’s basketball player of the year has also been invited to camp alongside Hungary based Sarah Itohan Imovbioh, Akaraiwe Nkem(First Bank of Lagos) Uju Ugoka and Belgium based Elem Ibiam.
Others on the 28 man list include US based Patience Okpe Nene, Promise Amukamara, Ayoleka Sodade, Elizabeth Balogun, Ijeoma Ajemba and the duo of James Juliet and Adaeze Alaeze who will be hoping to break into the team.
NCAA star with University of Syracuse, Jasmine Nwajei, Amy Okonkwo (TCU – Texas Christian University), Ashley Ezeh, Felicia Aiyeotan(University of Virginia) and Edeferioka Elo (Celta Zorka, Spain) complete the list of players called up by the D’Tigress Technical crew headed by Sam Vincent.
After the first phase of training in Atlanta, the team will return to Nigeria for the final phase of camping before jetting out to Turkey for some grade A friendlies before the first Jump ball at the FIBA 2018 Women World Cup in Tenerife , Spain from 20th – 30th September, 2018.
According to the General Manager of the team Mactabene Amachree, uninvited players who believe they have what it takes to be in the team are also free to report to camp at their own expense to be accessed by the Coaching crew within the first week of training.
LIST OF INVITEES FOR NIGERIAN NATIONAL WOMEN BASKETBALL TEAM CAMP IN ATLANTA, JULY, 2018
1.Ezinne Kalu (PG) – Vasa Akademia, Hungary
2. Upe Atosu (PG) – Labette Community College, (NJCAA)
3. Promise Amukamara (PG) – Alexandria, Romania
4. Jasmine Nwajei – (PG ) – University of Syracuse, (NCAA)
5. Patience Nene Okpe (PG) -Panola College, (NJCAA)
6.Sarah Ogoke ( SG)- RC Celta, Spain
7. Nkechi Akashili (SG) – First Bank, Nigeria
8. Ayoleka Sodade (SG)- University of Buffalo, NY ,(NCAA)
9. Elizabeth Balogun (SG) – Hamilton heights, Christian Academy, USA
10. Ijeoma Ajemba (SG/SF) – University of North Carolina Greenboro (NCAA)
11. Adaeze Alaeze (SG) Ciudad de la Adelantos, Spain
12.Adaora Elonu (SF)-Perfumerias Avenida Salamanca , Spain
13. Atonye Nyingifa (SF)- Duran Maquinaria Ensino, Spain
14.Cecilia Okoye (SF) – Oviedo, Spain
15. Ify Ibekwe (SF)- New York Liberty, WNBA
16. Nicole Enabosi (SF) – University of Delaware (NCAA)
17. Sarah Imovbioh (PF/C)- PEAC -Pecs, Hungary
18. Nkem Akaraiwe (SF)- First Bank, Nigeria
19. Uju Ugoka (PF) -Roche Vendee, France
20. Amy Okonkwo (PF) – Texas Christian University (NCAA)
21. Evelyn Akhator (PF) – Dallas Wings, WNBA
22. Juliet James (PF) – Georgia State University, (NCAA)
23. Ashley Ezeh (PF/C) – ADBA, Spain
24. Aisha Mohammed ( C )- Istanbul University , Turkey
25. Felicia Aiyeotan (C) – University of Virginia (NCAA).
26. Edeferioka Elo (C) – Celta Zorka – Spain
27. Ugo Uwaigwe (C) – Yakin Dugu U, Argentina
28. Elem Ibiam (C)- Kangoeroes, Belgium