Feeling lonely as you age is completely understandable. First your children grow older and decide it’s time to start living on their own or they’ll get married and move in with their spouse in a faraway city then your old friends might also decide to move out of town or worst case scenario, your closest friends would have passed away. Now it’s just you by yourself trying to deal with the world and its loneliness.
Dealing with loneliness is easier if you follow the tips below:
1. Make New Friends- You’ve lost your old friends due to distance or circumstances, now it’s time to make new ones! Make the effort to meet new people as they might start out as casual friends to being close friends who will your company and even one you turn to for emotional support.
2. Going out more often will give you an opportunity to meet new people, a simple “Good Morning” can kick start a new friendship. Joining a group with seniors is also an opportunity to make new friends and don’t always pass on an opportunity to introduce yourself or tell people about yourself. Most people are always happy to meet new people but friends are made by constantly keeping in touch with each other.
3. Be open to adventures- Exploring the things around you is another way you can deal with loneliness in old age as they can help improve your general wellness and mental well being. Visiting a local library, a shopping center can help see more things around you and also serve as an avenue to meet new people. You can also go on a trip to another city or even another country.
4. Engage in activities that helps you feel connected to the social world as this can go a long way in combating loneliness and depression.
Considering a trip to another country?
5. Become a member of the NARP50plus to enjoy travel discounts and deals with our membership of as low as N10,000/ yearly.
6. Be more creative- Being creative makes the mind happier! And this is one part of dealing with loneliness seniors enjoy. Whether you enjoy writing a book/ music or baking your favorite chocolate cake, engaging in any creative act makes dealing with loneliness easy. The good thing about being creative is that you’ll challenge yourself to bringing your new idea to life and you’ll be more focused on achieving your goal that you’ll totally forget about being lonely. Being creative is fun and easy, you can do anything as long as you put your mind to it.
7. Invite friends over- If you’re a home-bound senior, take it upon yourself to invite friends, church/ club members and family members to visit you. You can go as far as planning a little gathering with your close friends and family as having people around you will definitely help deal with loneliness.
Loneliness doesn’t have to be a burden to your life as you age;it can be overcome if you follow the fore-mentioned strategies and keep a positive mindset.